Today on the monthly author spotlight I’m welcoming the amazingly talented Amy Lane. Her books have changed the face of gay romance with richly developed characters and emotional plots. I’ve read many books in this genre and Amy’s books have always pulled at my heart and stayed with me long after the last page. I’ll be discussing a few of my favorite titles and how the characters are built on a platform of hurt to triumph in the arms of the men they love.
TRUTH IN THE DARK’s striking cover pulled me in the moment I saw the colorful palate and a lion looming in the background. Like many of Amy’s novels, this book slowly builds, letting the reader get to know the heroes and invest in a personal relationship. The concept was fresh and exciting. This wasn’t a shifter romance. This book was about the soul and how we view beauty. In the dark both heroes are sensual, their bodies perfect for each other. In the light, Knife endures physical challenges. Aerie has been cursed to walk the earth as a beast. Together they find love through experiencing sexual and emotional ties. The book used the senses other than sight to place the reader in middle of this passionate affair.
I followed TRUTH IN THE DARK with SIDECAR. Oh, be still my heart. The plot was spot on romance and in Amy Lane fashion the sexual tension slowly builds so when the love and attraction is revealed you’re on the edge of your seat. What starts as a mentor giving his charge the basics to survive and comfort from loneliness develops into a loving relationship. While one hero struggles with his feelings, the other grows from a teenager to an adult. They find love overcomes all barriers at the right moment. This story made me cry and cheer for the heroes I dearly loved.
I knew CHASE IN SHADOW was going to be a dark and deeply emotional romance, but the journey I took while reading about this broken, loving hero made my heart ache for this young man. I don’t want to reveal too much about this book because the plot is so moving and the hero has to fight all odds to have a healthy life. Love can heal many things and CHASE IN SHADOW proves it’s possible.
When I saw the cover for BEHIND THE CURTAIN I was instantly drawn to the simple, yet elegant, artwork. I really like these types of covers because I know they are going to be character driven and this book didn’t disappoint. A young dancer dedicated to his craft, even at the risk of destroying his health finds love in the arms of a stage hand who is willing to show him life can be more than pushing through what doesn’t make us happy. There is some suspense and that makes for an exciting anticipation as one hero risks everything to be with the man he loves. This plot was touching, while the characters were well thought out. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end.
I’ve read many more of Amy’s books and know that whenever I purchase a title I’m guaranteed to shed tears and burst into laughter. There are plenty of “awe…” moments. Amy writes gay romance for any reader to enjoy. The romance is sensual and builds into a wonderfully endearing connection between the author and the reader. I highly recommend Amy Lane for a lasting placement on your go-to book shelf for quality writing.
Now, let’s have a little fun. Amy was kind enough to let me pick her brain! Take a look…
- What is your favorite drink while you’re writing? Iced coffee, sugar free vanilla, kiddie-pool size.
- Which song most inspires you to write? Bleed it Out, by LInkin Park
- Movies or TV shows? Either one– as long as it’s fiction. Reality shows make me hurl.
- New York or Mississippi? New York
- Shifters or Vamps? A big happy preternatural apartment complex for the terminally furry, the fey, and the undead. (Seriously– that’s my Little Goddess series. I hate making choices.)
- What is your favorite Contemporary book right now? Fish Stick Fridays —by Rhys Ford
- Stranded on a tropical island…who is there with you? My Mate.
- Okay…I need you to elaborate on this one because I’m dying to know the answer! What drives you to write such broken heroes? Hmm… My own imperfections? The times in my life when I’ve made wrong choice after wrong choice, sometimes from the best of reasons. Teaching for eighteen years and seeing kids fuck up a thousand times worse than I ever had–and wanting something good for them, even after all of that. Maybe a combination of all of it–I’ve realized that some of the greatest people I’ve known have been broken and overcome. I want them to have stories.
- Fried or grilled chicken? Saute`d
- Introvert or Extrovert? Introvert who does good in crowds. As long as I have my introvert time, I’m just fine. Otherwise, I get growly and weepy and whiny and bitchy and some of the other less attractive dwarves.
Extra bonus question!
What is your current WIP? Fish Out of Water — I”m trying action adventure this time, with a murder mystery thrown in. It’s scary. So many people do a better job than I do!
You can find Amy on:
Leave a comment with your email address to register to win a $10 Amazon gift card!